Recently, I had an interview with my former university, Leeds Conservatoire (previously known as Leeds College of Music). It was a pleasure to reconnect with them and discuss my experiences since graduating 18 years ago. Leeds is a wonderful city, and I cherished my time as a student there. Playing at venues such as The Wardrobe, The Hifi Club, and the College Bar provided me with valuable early gigging opportunities. Taking solo after solo in front of my peers and professors was challenging, but it prepared me well for the professional world.
ABOUT THE INTERVIEW
I studied the BMus in Jazz and Contemporary Music and took weekly lessons with bass supremo Zoltan Deckany. Some of the questions covered in the interview include:
- When I decided to become a musician
- My experience of playing in the West End
- About my work with theatre starts Lea Salonga, Kerry Ellis and Michael Ball
- The highlights of my time working with Gabrielle
- How studying at Leeds prepared me for life as a professional bassist
READ THE INTERVIEW HERE
If you have any questions, please drop them in the comments and ill get back to you asap.
Leave a Reply